Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mad Scientist Girls

My kids are NOT afraid to experiment in the kitchen. I think that's a good thing...right? Yesterday 9 yr old Natalie and her friend Cate wanted to invent a snack. (With NO help, mom!) They seemed to have a s'more theme going on. They melted chocolate chips (in the microwave), and spread the chocolate on graham crackers and topped with colored sprinkles. Then they spread the remaining chocolate on marshmallows and sprinkled crushed graham crackers and colored sprinkles over those. They refrigerated them for a while and we had them after dinner. Pretty tasty!

Today their s'more baking theme continues. I came downstairs this afternoon to find them stirring another bowl of melted chocolate chips, and a container of melted marshmallow goo. They stirred them together and informed me that they wanted me to make a batch of muffins, and they were going to put a dollop of yummy goo inside of each muffin. After thinking for a minute, I suggested we whip up a quick batch of cookie dough, and stir the goo into the dough to make s'more cookies. They agreed, so I helped them make the dough and in no time they were ready to stir in their chocolatey marshmallowey goodness. Voila, YUMMY s'more cookie dough! The resulting cookies were rather flat, (they probably needed to be refrigerated before baking), but flat or not, they were delicious! Good job, Mad Scientist Girls!

They say that when they grow up, they're going to own a bakery together. I'll be the first in line!
Now Olivia (5) keeps telling me "Mommy *I* want to invent something, too!"  Maybe tomorrow she & I will have to invent something yummy in the kitchen, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment