Sunday, July 18, 2010

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

Olivia is a sausage ADDICT. She thinks she needs it every single morning, even with cereal. (She does NOT get it every day, but she wants it.) And 1 yr old Logan is following in her footsteps. I happened across a recipe for homemade breakfast sausage and thought I'd give it a try. It's super easy - mix a few spices with ground pork, and there you have it. It's cheaper than regular sausage (The ground pork was $1.79/lb not on sale, (though I'll be watching for sales from now on!), throw in a dime or two for the spices.) and healthier too. Purchased sausage has MSG, corn syrup, preservatives, nitrites, etc., not to mention whatever "by products" they use. By making it myself I can control what's in it. (Next time I'm going to lower the fat content by mixing in half ground turkey breast.) And yes, there WILL be a next time. It's so easy that I plan to make a bunch and keep it in the freezer. And best of all, it's delicious!

Homemade Breakfast Sausage (from allrecipes.com)

2 tsp ground sage
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground marjoram
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch ground cloves
2 lbs ground pork

Mix spices together. Mix in the ground pork. Form into patties and cook in skillet over medium high heat abt. 5 minutes per side.

I froze the extra patties uncooked, although I think next time I may cook them and then freeze them. (Then I can pull out one just for Olivia and microwave just til hot.) I will also freeze some one l lb chubs for when I make breakfast burritoes or biscuits & sausage gravy.

I plan to make my future batches with half ground turkey. I may cut the salt, and may try using real maple syrup instead of the brown sugar. I might also try putting fennel seed in. So easy to customize when you make it yourself!

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea!! Thank you for posting this recipe. I LOVE finding treasures like this that help me to take care of my family and save money at the same time. We eat alot of sausage too, I will be trying your recipe out soon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those things where I thought "why didn't I try this years ago?". Hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete