Thursday, May 6, 2010

Our Daily Bread

I started making all our bread around December, 2007. Since then, I've bought bread exactly *once*. The rest of the time, I've made it. Yes, even when it was 105 degrees outside. Even when I was 9 months pregnant. Even with a newborn. Why? It's MUCH healthier, cheaper, and a batch takes, oh, maybe 10 minutes (of hands-on time). Honestly, it takes longer than that to go to the bread store. A 3-loaf batch usually lasts us 5 or 6 days, and costs far less than $1 (for 3 loaves). Plus there's something really satisfying about making your own bread. (Not to mention the yummy smell & taste of freshly baked bread!) I make 100% whole grain bread - freshly ground whole wheat (I use hard white wheat which I get from the LDS cannery - white wheat has a milder taste than red wheat), oats, and ground flax meal. Lately I've been experimenting with adding other whole grains, like millet and triticale. I use fresh local raw honey, sea salt, olive oil, water, yeast, & wheat gluten. No high fructose corn syrup. No partially hydrogenated oils. No unpronounceable ingredients. And it is G-O-O-D!!

100% Whole Grain Bread:
3 cups warm water
1/3 cup honey
4 teaspoons yeast (I use bulk from Winco)
5 cups whole wheat flour

~Mix this together in my Kitchenaid, cover, and let sit for about 20-30 minutes, until double or so in bulk. This is the "sponge" and it helps to soften the bran so the whole wheat bread is light and fluffy.

Then add:
another 1/3 cup honey (lately I've often been replacing this with 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce)
1 Tbsp salt
4 Tbsp wheat gluten (really helps whole wheat bread become light and fluffy / -bulk from Winco)
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 more cups whole wheat flour (or a little more/little less - adjust til it's the right consistency) / (For this, I actually use 1 C old fashioned oats (bulk from Winco), 1/3 cup ground flax (bulk from Winco), and the rest whole wheat flour - enough til it's the right consistency)

Mix on speed 2 on the Kitchenaid for about 10 minutes. You want the dough to be slightly sticky. Cover with a towel and let sit til doubled in bulk. Divide into 3 pieces, make loaf shapes out of them, and put them in large bread pans sprayed with Pam. Cover with the towel and let sit til double. (Or about 2" over the tops of the pans). Cook in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Take out and bang pans on sides til the bread falls out. Put on rack or breadboard to cool. Once cool, put in bags. I put 2 bags in the freezer, and we use the 3rd. It's easiest to cut them the next day (or after thawing the frozen ones). Use a long serrated knife. I get 16 slices from each loaf.

Yes, it *sounds* like a lot of work, but as I said this is like 10 minutes of hands-on, and the rest is letting it mix or rise or bake. If you're home for a few hours anyways, it's honestly no big deal. Give it a try!

I use a Nutrimill Grain Mill and a Kitchenaid Professional 600 mixer. Both of them should pretty much last me for life, but if the Kitchenaid dies, I will replace it with a Bosch, which can handle a bigger batch.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you could do it without a Kitchenaid. You could do it the old-fashioned way - by hand - just be sure to really knead it well. Or you might be able to do 1/2 or 1/3 batch in the bread machine, I would unplug or reset the machine at the sponge step, so it allows it to sit and raise, and then restart it when you add the other ingredients. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete