Monday, January 31, 2011

Aasa Genealogy / Norway

Posting some pictures for my 2nd cousin, once removed. (And any other relatives out there.) It's always so fun to "meet" distant relatives, thanks to the internet and a common interest in our ancestors. If you have any information, pictures, snippets of anything that I don't have, I would appreciate you passing it along!

Olaus Andreason Aasa - my great grandfather

Olaus was a highly skilled carpenter and owned a carpentry/building business in Norway employing 35 people. After he joined the LDS church and immigrated to the US, he ran a ferry across the Snake River for several years, then later he built the spiral staircase in the Idaho State Capitol Building.

Fredrikke Marie Fredrikson - my great grandmother
Fredrikke Marie Fredrikson (went by Marie) had 10 older brothers. My favorite story of hers comes from her life story (written by her daughter, my grandmother Hannah Marie Aasa Hunt.) When she was 16, she was working for a woman doing cooking, cleaning, and washing. I'll quote: "They washed just once a month. They changed sheets every two weeks and had at least twenty-four sheets a wash and there were six grown people to wash for. The clothes were all rubbed on a board. In the winter they washed in the wash house and pulled the clothes down to a lake, about one-half mile from the house, on a sled and she chopped a hole in the ice and stood there and rinsed the clothes. When she went to the house for a meal her clothes were wet and frozen and stood around her like an umbrella. She stayed there a year, she was seventeen when she left there." Remember, this was Norway, where it's COLD in the winter. I think of this story often when I'm feeling sorry for myself for having "so much" housework to do (and all the modern conveniences to do it.) I usually decide I don't have it so bad, after all.

Aasa Family

Olaus & Marie with their 1st 2 children, Maggie & Fred (Magda Theresa & Frithjoff)





Hannah Marie (my grandmother)




2 comments:

  1. Hi, I tried posting, dont think it worked so trying again, my name is Heather, my email is ballard_hl@hotmail.com

    I would really love what information on the Aasa family you have. I am looking for the old pictures on my grandmother Constance side that she left behind. I could Email some to you as well when i find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather & Darlene - I'm happy to share! This information is as much yours as it is mine. If you find any pics or life stories, etc. I would appreciate you sending me a copy, too.

    ReplyDelete